RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Tools > Software
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Software Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, Painter, etc., and all their various plugins. Of course, you can also discuss all other programs, as well.

Software to change person's age?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2004, 04:15 PM

Software to change person's age?

Anyone know of a good software that will age someone's face, from, say 30 to 60 or something like that? Or take a toddler and age him to 15 or so?

AmyHutton
Old 11-28-2004, 06:13 PM

While we're waiting for a better answer, I'll just chip in with an idea. Won't go from 30 to 60, but it does add some years.
Do everything that you would to "glamorize" the photo - but backwards.
For example, I did this:
- Chose the Blue channel as luminosity (normally would be Red);
- Ran the High-pass filter on this at radius 5, and got the skin's blemishes;
- Here I would normally invert this to take out the blemishes, but I didn't so they'll get emphasized;
- Linear Light blending at 50%;
- Blend-if, ramping up from 0-127 and down 128-255 (to get the texture, not the edges;
- Masked to get only skin.

(sorry, Maria)
byRo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maria-Unclipped.jpg (99.4 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg Maria-Older-byRo.jpg (98.9 KB, 322 views)
Old 11-28-2004, 08:13 PM

Don't think that did the job, Ro. Now she looks like a young woman with bad skin. There is a program called FACES that is used by cops to age people and regress the age, but it is not done with photos, but with sketches. I want something that can do it with photos.

There are well known common results of again, the jowls, the sagging eyes, wrinkles, and more. There are artists who are able to do this freehand, but I'm sure I'm not one of them. I was hoping there was some software out there that could add (or subtract) the common signs of aging.

For instance, I have a photo of a young child that I think is my grandfather. I'd like to age it and see if it matches the photos I have of him as a young man. And then there is the photo of my other grandfather as an old man. I never knew him as a young man, and nobody has a photo. I'd like to see what he looked like at, say 40. Without having to learn how to draw portraits exactingly, and without knowing how age affects our skin subtly and not so subtly.

Thanks for your interpretation, though.

AmyHutton
Old 11-28-2004, 08:41 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Hi Amy,

I know what you're looking for, and I saw an example of three young women, probably in their 20s, changed to women in their 70s or 80s. It was done with Photoshop, and the job was nothing less than fantastic. I'd be surprised if you can find software that would do that, but I'd never say it's impossible. I also have a picture of a young boy that I think was my father, but I'm not sure.

Ed
Old 11-28-2004, 09:49 PM

Speaking purely with tongue in cheek, I'm going to respond to aging someone. I'm not going to tell how to do it with Photoshop, just some tips that work from a theatrical standpoint. I'm speaking of techniques that work in makeup when a face has to be aged artificially.

A young person typically has firm flesh and very little wrinkles; however, when a person manipulates their face lines appear. Those lines if used enough over the years will become a person's age lines. Also flesh begins to droop/sag as a person ages. If I were to age a person using makeup, I would combine the natural lines in a person's face and add slight droop to the skin. This is done with makeup by highlighting and shading. The same would apply with Photoshop.

Take a look at your own face with a good mirror in a well lit room. Notice where the highlights fall. They are on the tops of the curves and shade in toward the lines/wrinkles. The forehead, chin, tip of the nose, and cheekbones remain slightly more highlighted than other areas (i.e. shine). The folds that come from around the nose to the edges of the mouth would deepen with age. Those would be exaggerated in aging a face artistically. Jowls are but an extension of those folds.

Noses and ears tend to be larger looking in an older person (depending on how old you want the person to look). While that is hard to do with just makeup, it can be done digitally. Keep that in mind as well as lines and wrinkles.

All of what I've said can be accomplished with lots dodging and burning, or even direct painting on a face. Transform can be used with the lengthening and distorting. I should mention that I never and I repeat never use dodge and burn on the layer a photo is on. I create a new layer, fill it with 50% gray and dodge and burn quite happily on that "adjustment" layer. It works quite well.

One more note, a person's head is much rounder when they are young. I wouldn't begin to age a child. It would drive me nuts. When a person is about 12-13 their head is 90%-95% its full size. Then the fun could begin.

Happy aging,

Janet
Old 11-29-2004, 04:52 AM

Take a look at www.worth1000.com.
They have several contests for age progression, and some tips.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:40 AM

Found what I want

http://www.aprilage.com BUT it's not available for purchase! Only does progression, not regression.

Amy
Old 01-12-2005, 02:38 PM

RE: Found what you want - Aprilage Progression Software

Good day,

Aprilage Age Progression Software is in fact available for purchase.

For more information and inquiries about APRIL feel free to contact
us at via email at inquiries@aprilage.com or by using our form at http://www.aprilage.com/contact.html.

To see the effects of our software and its capabilities feel free to click on any of the images on the following page on our site:

http://www.aprilage.com/april_in_action.html
Old 01-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Well, as of yesterday when I was having an email conversation with them, they would not let me purchase the software since I would charge a fee for the resulting images. So only purchase this if you have a spare $3600 and want to give away the age-progressed images for free. Like if you are a museum or something.

AmyHutton@aol.com
Old 01-12-2005, 03:18 PM

I did find an excellent tutorial that is available here for 99p from a UK website. I'm hoping the 99p converts to something like $2.50 and not 99 bucks, because I bought it.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutori...sectionid=1313

Amy
Old 01-12-2005, 03:45 PM

Who needs software?

Actually, I don't think you need software to do this...

The prospect of my daughter, who's 8 going on 18 (I can't [don't want to] believe she's gonna be 9 this summer), getting closer and closer to becoming a teenager, driving and BOYS! (eek!), ages MY face daily! (LOL - nervously).

When she was born I looked MUCH younger than I do today!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:50 PM

APRIL Age Progression Software

Please note sections 1.01 and 1.02 of the APRIL User License Agreement.

www.aprilage.com/faq.html
Old 01-15-2005, 10:10 AM

I managed to do a credible job of aging my son from 4 months to 21, and then again from 21 to 55, using a morphing program. On the first movie, I can see that it is accurate, as I recognize him at 5, 10, 15 etc.

The movie that take him from 21 to 55 is based on my husband's two year old photo. I just morphed my son into my husband. In the middle you can see how my son will look at about 35-40. You can actually watch him grow his hair in, and then go bald. (He's not happy with that!)

This is basically what forensic artists do by hand when drawing an age progressed photo. They look at siblings and same sex parent to determine the changes. This is a lot faster.

http://mcwhirterfamilyofmercer.com/justinr.swf 4 months to 21

http://www.mcwhirterfamilyofmercer.com/justodad2.swf 21 to 55

Slow load, but worth it.

AmyHutton
Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 AM

Thumbs down Age Progression Link

Never giving up with my search in finding software to age a person's face, I found a link that may help some of you who are interested in aging your own or someone else's face (and the best part, IT'S FREE)...

http://212.100.224.91/

Best of luck,
Ed
Old 04-26-2005, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddo
Never giving up with my search in finding software to age a person's face, I found a link that may help some of you who are interested in aging your own or someone else's face (and the best part, IT'S FREE)...

http://212.100.224.91/

Best of luck,
Ed
Love to get into this, but I am getting a massage:

Access to this numeric HTTP address may have been blocked due to high volume traffic generated by end user PC's infected with worms or viruses.

Please try to access the page by including the file name along with the IP address, e.g. http://10.1.1.2/index.htm

Is there's a webpage which I can aaccess?
Manju