RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Image Help
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Image Help Got a problem image? Don't know where to begin? Upload images and ask our users what they think or if they can help

Wrinkles in the Head of a Man

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2009, 02:05 PM

Wrinkles in the Head of a Man

This is a picture of my brother he is bald but in this picture there seems to be so many wrinkles on the top of his head, also the picture is under exposed I tried my best to increase the light, I changed the background because the picture was so dark. but I was having trouble, making the lawn and bushes look green, the kept coming out white. and how would I make the top of the picture have a complete oval on top , My brother tried to print it larger today and when he did , he said his head look horrible it was a mass of wrinkles, does anyone know how to fix it. I tried to use the patch tool but I could not make it look good. any help I would love. thanks I will attached the two pictures. thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstwindow.jpg (98.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg secondwindow.jpg (98.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-17-2009, 03:56 PM

Re: Wrinkles in the Head of a Man

This is a problem image. By masking out the couple and duplicating the background on multiply, lowering the opacity on the second duplicate, I found, bought the background up somewhat. Then I inverted the mask, and applied a curves layer to the couple to darken then some. After that I cloned out his wrinkles, and dodged the left side of his template to duplicate the light source.

As far as the top of the arch goes, you would have to make your canvas size higher and basically draw it in or you could copy and paste sections into place (transforming them as you go).

This is just a rough job, I'm afraid, as I found the file too small to see with my tired old eyes where I was working. Could have introduced some artifacts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstwindowA.jpg (95.0 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Liz; 06-17-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Patron

Instead of creating an Oval archway I straightened the picture then cropped it all out making the lovely couple the focus

just did a good levels and smoothed out the wrinkles using the patch tool and a dark area on the Lady's chest for his head on a separate layer

sharpened the eyes and teeth on separate layers

moved your "secondwindow' to the top layer in Darken mode desaturated then masked the people

painted the trees on the right, green on a softlight layer... adjusted Hue/saturation and blurred the tops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstwindow_Cropped.jpg (194.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
This is a problem image. By masking out the couple and duplicating the background on multiply, lowering the opacity on the second duplicate, I found, bought the background up somewhat. Then I inverted the mask, and applied a curves layer to the couple to darken then some. After that I cloned out his wrinkles, and dodged the left side of his template to duplicate the light source.

As far as the top of the arch goes, you would have to make your canvas size higher and basically draw it in or you could copy and paste sections into place (transforming them as you go).

This is just a rough job, I'm afraid, as I found the file too small to see with my tired old eyes where I was working. Could have introduced some artifacts.
thank you for your help, when I attached the photo I followed the directions on the forum on how to attach a photo. How big of a file can you attach. These is the size that I was able to upload. Also what do you mean when you say " could have introduced some artifacts"? thanks again
Old 06-18-2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Instead of creating an Oval archway I straightened the picture then cropped it all out making the lovely couple the focus

just did a good levels and smoothed out the wrinkles using the patch tool and a dark area on the Lady's chest for his head on a separate layer

sharpened the eyes and teeth on separate layers

moved your "secondwindow' to the top layer in Darken mode desaturated then masked the people

painted the trees on the right, green on a softlight layer... adjusted Hue/saturation and blurred the tops
Thank you so much, Do you mean that you took a piece of her chest and applied it his head. to cover the wrinkles. Its like an operation. I will try to do it what you suggested. You do great work. thanks for the advice and the time to help me.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:16 AM

I think old baldy has done a nice job here. By artifacts, I mean, stuff that wasn't in the original file. Like, there is evidence of where I have been working on the file such as poor cloning around the head area. Hard to see until it's printed. Appreciate that the file size is small. But there you go.....we have to do with what we have. These small files will never be print quality.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:39 AM

Her is my try!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstwindow.jpg (99.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 06-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Patron

Old Baldy, that was a creative way to solve this problem. The finished results show the couple, with all their detail, better than before.